Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Movies and such . . .

I decided to skip out on D&D last night, partly because we were already missing two guys, and partly because Tuesday is cheap night at the movies! That's the only thing that sucks about having D&D on Tuesdays. :-( So anyway I decided to go see The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian and also Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince CaspianImage via WikipediaPrince Caspian . . . What can I say? I'm a sucker for a good fantasy movie and to me this was definitely one. Some of the performances were a little wooden, but that didn't really matter, at least not to me. And no, I'm not referring to the animated trees. :-P There was magic, medieval weapons, beautiful women, fantastic creatures, lots of action packed battles. Was it better than the first movie? Well I will have to rewatch that one before I can tell for sure but I will say no, it's not better, it's different. It's at least as good though, and I really enjoyed the first one too! This one is darker definitely. And of course Reepicheep was awesome. :-D Very much looking forward to the next movie if they ever make one.

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal SkullImage via WikipediaIndiana Jones . . . Alright what the hell people? Nearly everyone I've heard on the interwebs who's seen the movie has said it was horrible, it sucks, they hated it . . . and gone on to spout out a laundry list of nit picky details they didn't like about it.

Lighten up people for heaven's sake! Is it an Oscar winning piece of film making? Gods no . . . some of it was pretty cheesy and some of it was a bit over the top but you know what? That's okay! That's part of the fun! I thought this movie was awesome! It's a fun, action packed adventure that I thought was very much in the style and feel of the Indy movies of old. I think the main reason a lot of people didn't like the movie was because it wasn't what they were expecting so they felt cheated. With Transformers the robots looked very obviously different right away so you knew going in that this wasn't going to be the same as the cartoon from your childhood. In previews however Indiana Jones does look very similar to the old movies and memories you cherish from your childhood and people went in expecting to feel exactly that way again. Well surprise! You're not a little kid any more.

Too many people go into movies having succumbed to the hype and media blitz and have expectations that are way too high, thinking a movie will be "the best movie evar!" . . . I usually go in to a movie with next to no expectations other than tobe entertained for a few hours and you know what? Nine times out of ten I leave pleasantly surprised.

Then again I'm not a professional movie critic, just another of the dumb consumer masses. :-P What do I know about movies . . .

C.

Zemanta Pixie

0 comments:

Post a Comment