Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Google Chrome . . . so shiny!

I’m a bit of a Google addict. It’s true. I use Google Reader, Gmail, Google search, Google Calendar, this blog. I don’t do a lot of writing (as evidenced by the lack of updates here. :-P) but I do also use Google Docs on occasion. Not for my blogs ironically. I’m typing this in Windows Live Writer. Pretty damn slick I must say. Anyway back on topic . . .

My main and default web browser is currently Google Chrome. I just like it! It’s hard to explain why. I think I just got so used to my cluttered up Firefox that the speed and simplicity of Chrome, the idea of one tab not bringing down the entire browser and it’s newness was just too enticing. I also love trying out new stuff so how could I possibly resist this?? I downloaded it the day it came out and I haven’t gone back to Firefox since, except for a few particular websites. *ahem* I like living on the edge too and have it set on the Dev Channel so I get all the latest, possibly unstable, weekly updates.

Like so many others before me have lamented though . . . I REALLY miss extensions. My Firefox has over 60 installed. Not including Greasemonkey scripts. Some I miss more than others of course. Some only get used occasionally. Some you forget are even there because they just become part of the browser. And I have managed to live with out all of them for the last four months.

Being on the Chrome Dev Channel I do have the option now of enabling experimental greasemonkey script support. I tried it briefly and couldn’t get it to work so I’ll just wait until it’s a little further along.

Earlier I mentioned on twitter that Chrome had crashed. This actually doesn’t happen very often. The people working on Chrome/Chromium are pretty freakin good at what they do. :-D Anyway @TechFrog mentioned that he relies on a few excellent Firefox extensions so he’s not sure if he’ll switch once it’s out on a Mac. This got me thinking . . . which extensions do I really miss? I mean really! Hmm . . . LIST TIME!

Wow . . . more than I expected. :-P I could probably trim the list down further, but this is all stuff I used or found useful regularly. This still doesn’t include any of the Greasemonkey scripts I have in Firefox. *lol* So hopefully, one day, when the Chrome extension system is up and running and people start hacking out extensions maybe this wishlist will get fulfilled. :-)

Alright, my brain hurts from all this writing. Until next time!

Later folks. ;-)

0 comments:

Post a Comment